Pelican cases are extremely durable molded plastic cases that are used by touring musicians, military personnel, gun owners, and everyday consumers.
They feature a seal with an airtight and watertight gasket. They use a relief valve made of Gore-Tex to prevent damage to the case during transportation or when flying with air pressure changes.
While they meet the standards for waterproofing, stacking impact, and extreme durability, is that something that you always need?
Many companies who manufacture alternatives to Pelican often also have the same features of their cases without the high price tags. In this article, we will be looking at the best Pelican case alternatives.
Best Pelican Case Alternative – A Quick Glance
Pelican Cases can be really expensive. They are an essential part of being a touring musician. If you do not have a budget for them, they can be difficult to acquire and you may need to shop shop at a second hand store for one. Before you convert an old suitcase from the 60s into your new microphone case, I suggest checking out these Pelican case alternatives.
Seahorse 920F Waterproof Hard Case – Pelican Equivalent Case
- Seahorse exterior Dimensions: 24.3 x 16.0 x 10.10 - interior Dimensions: 22.12 x 13.54 x 8.50 . Case weight: 14.23 lbs
- Dustproof, Airtight and watertight Protection (mil. Std. 810F, 512.4 and Ip67). capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Proudly made in America with Lifetime guarantee
- Customize your internal space to fit snugly around your items with the included pre-scored Accuform foam
The Seahorse 920F Waterproof hard case is a fantastic alternative to a Pelican case. It features a retractable handle, wide track wheels, and a safety seal to protect against water, air, and dust.
The wheel operation is extremely smooth and the case is very rugged. The retractable handle operates in a very similar fashion to the Pelican.
If you want to save a few bucks, check out the Seahorse Hard Case.
IBEX Cases – Black Watertight Carry On Hard Rugged Protective Case
- The injection molded polypropylene IBEX Case are dustproof, watertight, and temperature resistant from -20°C to 80°C (-4°F to 176°F). Pressure Release Valves are also present on all cases to protect pressure sensitive instruments
- IBEX Cases are dustproof, watertight, and temperature resistant from -20°C to 80°C (-4°F to 176°F). Pressure Release Valves are also present on all cases to protect pressure sensitive instruments
- Two wave foams and two pre-cut cubed foams are included with the case to provide a fully removable and customizable interior for your electronics, equipment, tools, cameras, drones, GoPro, and other contents
- Dual padlock hasps provide a dedicated location for locks to secure your valuables
- Retractable extension handle and durable replaceable wheels. Available in black or yellow. Interior Dimensions L x W x H: 20.1 x 11.5 x 6.8" (510 x 292 x 174mm)
We didn’t chuck this one off a cliff, but think the IBEX case is nearly as indestructible as a Pelican case.
The plastic outer case is a little bit thinner than a traditional Pelican case but is absolutely sufficient for most applications.
This hard case comes equipped with pluck-able foam to fit any gear you might have. Be sure to map out your gear spaces BEFORE you start removing foam.
AmazonBasics Hard Camera Case – Cheap Pelican Case Knock Off
Being that this case is from Amazon, you know it’s going to be a decent product. It’s perfect for transporting microphones, SLR cameras, firearms, and anything else you can think of.
The case has a relatively simple design with no fancy branding. Just like a Pelican, the AmazonBasics case features a convenient retractable top handle.
Create a custom molding for all your gear with pre-cut foam squares. It’s super easy to customize the interior to fit whatever you need to keep safe.
Monoprice Weatherproof Hard Case – Pelican Competitors
- Waterproof up to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes, Seal design provides IP67 level protection
- Designed and developed to the comply with the highest safety protection standards with shockproof design offering fully customizable foam interior
- Ultraviolet and impact resistant material with pressure relief valve allows for gradual pressure equalization
- 6774 cu in (111 liter) internal volume and Weighs only 26.46 lbs (12.0 kg)
- Internal: 30.04 x 19.02 x 11.89 (763 x 483 x 302 mm) | External: 33.50 x 21.89 x 12.95 (851 x 556 x 329 mm)
Just like every other case we have mentioned, the Monoprice Weatherproof Hard Case also features a full-customizable interior with pre-cut foam squares.
Monoprice makes great products overall. To be honest, we can’t pick a best case from this list. They outperformed all our tests and all hold up compared to a regular Pelican hard case.
Member’s Mark Safety Box – Pelican Alternative
- Outside dimensions: 19.78" x 15.77" x 7.41" Inside dimensions: 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
- "Pick and Pluck" foam cubes inside box allow for customization of space and padding
- Shock-proof protection against damage if shaken
- Protection from extreme amounts of pressure
- Moisture-proof helps prevent rusting; External equalization valve balances internal and external air pressure
Marketed as a case for a gun owner, this hard plastic case serves as a perfect alternative for anyone neeeding a tough, reliable case for laptops, microphones, iPads, etc. Not only is this the perfect Pelican case alternative, you will be able to afford three, four, even five of these cases for the price of one Pelican.
I personally own three of these cases and they have served me well on many tours. There are no locking mechanisms, so you will be out of luck there. If you’re like me and do not need the locks, this shouldn’t be an issue.
The Member’s Mark case features cubic foam inserts that allow you to customize the sizing of any of your delicate gear to your liking. One of my cases holds all my touring microphones and the other holds a MacBook, iPad, iPhone, as well as the necessary power cables for each.
Our Best Pick For Pelican Case Alternative
Where to buy cheap Pelican cases?
If you’re still interested buying a Pelican case, Ebay and Amazon do sometimes have used offers available. If you’re on Amazon, navigate to the case you’d like, scroll down and look for used & new (x) from $xxx.xx. This will give you all the available used listings. and Another option to consider is Craigslist.
A quick history of Pelican Cases
Pelican holds a world class title as the leader in high performance protective cases. portable lighting systems, and rugged gear. Pelican cases are utilized everyday in demanding markets like safety, fire, law enforcement, entertainment, defense, life sciences, military, industrial, and consumer. These cases are designed to last for a lifetime. Just south of Los Angeles sits the corporate headquarters.
Pelican was founded in 1976 by Dave Parker and his wife Arline in Torrance, Californa. A hobby of his being scuba diving, Dave needed cases that were both rugged and waterproof to protect his gear. Dave set out to build a product better than anything else on the market. The first product, the Pelican Float, was soon followed by the Protector Cases.
Have you used any Pelican case alternatives on this list? Below is our top pick. Be sure to let us know if we missed anything and if you’d like to leave a comment, we’d appreciate it! Thanks for reading!