As drummers, we are always looking for places to keep our sticks on stage. Grabbing a pair out of your stick bag may not always be an option when a drop happens. Fortunately, there are many companies out there making great products that keep your sticks readily available in any spot you desire. In this article, we will give our pick for best drum stick holder.
Best Drum Stick Holder – A Quick Glance
The above table lists our top picks. Read on to get a more detailed view of each product.
Vic Firth Stick Caddy
- The Vic Firth Stick Caddy provides easy access to your sticks when you need them
- The stick caddy clamps to any stand or hardware
- The Vic Firth Stick Caddy clamps to any stand or hardware to keep your extra drumsticks right where you need them
The Vic FIrth Stick Caddy is an excellent choice for anyone looking to show off their favorite stick brand. The cylinder canister holds approximately two pairs of sticks, but if the sticks are small enough (Vic Firth 5A), it can hold three. You can clamp this drum stick holder to any piece of hardware on your kit. The opening on the clamp opens to about 1 1/2″ in size, so most cymbal and hi hats stands work great.
Pro Mark SD200 Stick Depot
- Attaches to any cymbal stand
- Easily adjustable for ideal angle/positioning
- Holds two pairs of sticks/mallets
- Makes it quick and easy to grab a backup pair of sticks in a hurry
- All Promark drumsticks are designed and manufactured in the USA
Pro Mark’s Stick Depot is arguably the most popular drum stick holder. I’ve seen it used by many different drummers on tons of tours. The SD200 can hold two pairs of drum sticks, which may seem like Vic Firth’s product gets the advantage, however, they do make a model of the Stick Depot that can hold four pairs.
The clamp on the SD200 is the major downfall of this product. It’s very weak and tends to slip off of hardware that is too thick. I find this drum stick holder to be the worst product on our list.
String Swing Drum Stick Holder
- DRUMSTICK HOLDER FOR A LIFETIME - Fits any Drum Set, even electronic or electric drums; Made in the USA and backed by a LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY,maximum structural integrity and safety; So your drumsticks will always be ready for you
- NON-SKID PADDING - Durable black powder coated Heavy Duty steel with Non-Skid padding can quickly be attached using only one hand and fits all mic, music, or cymbal stands, ranging from ½-1 inch in diameter - A great Drummer Gift
- VERSATILE & AFFORDABLE DRUMS ACCESSORY - Universal Mount clip design can be clipped to any drumset or pole, even a drum set for kids - Easily Attachable, enables you to pick and store your drumsticks in seconds - For Home, Studio or while on stage!
- OVER 30 YEARS SERVING MUSICIANS ALL OVER AMERICA - Our new Drumstick Holder is the most durable and reliable product of its kind in the market; We have been crafting the best drum accessories, display systems and musical hardware that you can buy for over 30 years
- LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY - The String Swing Drum Stick Holder is made in the USA with solid HEAVY DUTY STEEL construction and backed by a LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY - Make sure your drumsticks are always within reach by Adding yours to cart Now while supplies last!
String Swing’s drumstick holder features the most unique clamping system (if you can even call it that) on our list. The holder features black power-coated steel with a non-slip padding that attaches to your hardware in seconds. There is no clamp mechanism, just two steel arms that suspend themselves from any piece of hardware.
On Stage DA100 Stick Holder
- Holds up to 8 pairs of sticks
- C-shaped mounting clamp with nylon tipped screw adjusts to securely fit most standard hardware or microphone stands
- Extension arm is angled downward at 45° for easy removal and placement of your sticks
- Cup holder can be removed from the hardware for cleaning purposes
- 1/4 inch reinforced edges
The DA100 features an impressive eight stick capacity. The large quantity is a result of the cloth bag. Some users have reported the cloth bag falling off after use, which we did not experience. The clamp is very small, so it might not fit on all hardware stands, especially if the stand is very thick.
On Stage doesn’t have the greatest reputation in my book. I think their products could use a bit of improvement, as more companies are beginning to step up to the plate with better innovation.
What is a drum stick holder?
Rather than a traditional stick bag, drum stick holders are generally made of plastic and clamp to a piece of hardware rather than strap to the side of a drum (like you see on most floor tom stick bags). The major downside to stick holders is usually the number of sticks that it can carry.
Who uses drum stick holders?
Many drummers use them! The primary goal of a stick holder is to have a option to recover a drum stick after dropping one. I’ve seen everyone from beginning players to professional touring musicians using them.
Where can you mount a drum stick holder?
Most drum stick holders offer some sort of clamping mechanism which allows you to place it on most hardware stands. Some popular spots include underneath the hi hat cymbals, on a cymbal stand, or even on a dedicated stand for the holder.
Why not just a stick bag?
Stick bags are generally made of fabric. My Vic Firth marching stick bag (which is attached to my floor tom) has ripped after a few years of use. My drum sticks would actually fall through the bottom, had not taped it up. Drum stick holders are made of plastic and will last much longer than a traditional drum mounted stick bag.
Depending on where your stick bag is located, it can be difficult to grab a new pair from it. I have seen stick bags that both mount to drums and ones that sit on the floor. With my mounted stick bag, pulling sticks out of the bag quickly is tough, due to the fact that it is a fabric case and a splintered drum stick gets caught on the way out.
Do you use a drum stick holder? Let us know in the comments below. If we missed something, we’ll be sure to add it to our list!