Are you a drummer who wants to expand your tonal palette? Do you wish to play marimba or other keyboard percussion without spending a fortune on a five-octave marimba or a vibraphone? The malletKAT is the best MIDI marimba on the market. You can have the flexibility to play the marimba, vibraphone, chimes, or even a synthesizer! You need to find a malletKAT for sale, today!
The malletKAT comes standard with MIDI in and out, so you can connect to any MIDI keyboard / sound module to play sounds from it, or connect to a computer with a DAW to play virtual instruments. You do have the option to buy a MalletKat with internal sounds, but I recommend using the malletKAT with a computer to play sounds. You will have WAY more options later on.
If you’re looking for more of a traditional keyboard, check out the best MIDI controllers, courtesy of our partner website, Keyboard Kraze.
Choosing Your MalletKat – Reviews and Buyer’s Guide 2018
You have quite a few options when it comes to purchasing your malletKAT. In the chart below, we will look at the breakdown of the different versions that Alternate Mode offers. You can choose to buy just the MIDI controller without sounds or you can buy one with built-in internal sounds from Kurzweil Music Systems. From left to right, we have the Express, Pro, and Grand. Based on your needs, you can buy a malletKAT with two, three, four, or even five octaves if you purchase an expander.
- This special Alternate Mode Bundle offer includes everything a pro or novice would need to get started in the world of electronic mallet percussion. The Kurzweil designed sounds make it the best sounding midi mallet instrument in the world. Included are Hercules General Purpose Z Style Stand, two pairs of mallets gig bag and foot pedals.
- The build quality is road worthy and the unit is built from high quality gauge aluminum for easy transportation. Durable and lightweight.
- The Headphone Jack allow for low volume practicing in your home, dorm room and rehearsal space. There are volume control buttons for headphones, two (2) 1/4" outputs for amplification and two (2) 1/4" audio inputs to stream in your favorite songs to practice to.
- 127 programmable setups and features like splitting, layering, poly/mono and "hang" modes.
- Incredibly expressive and powerful alternative to traditional marimba and vibraphone instruments.
For Those With No Internal Sounds
If you use Ableton Live for playing gigs, you can use the MalletKat to your benefit. Any note on the MalletKat can be programmed to any parameter inside of Ableton Live. Footswitches and pedals also have MIDI capability. Famous drummer Neil Peart from Rush has used a malletKAT in his touring drum set for many years and is included in many of his drum solos for melodic parts and is also used to trigger various samples during the live show.
The MalletKat Grand comes standard with four octaves, but with the expander, you can have a five-octave marimba for a fraction of the cost! Sometimes you can find a used malletKat for sale, but I highly recommend you buy new as there can be issues with buying things secondhand, no matter what the product is!
The back portion of the malletKAT contains all the I/O you will use. MalletKAT offers two sustain pedal inputs, two foot control inputs, MIDI in/out (2), and two expander inputs. If you plan to extend the size of your Malletkat, these are the inputs you will use to get more octaves. The Edit FTSW is used to control every parameter on the Malletkat. You use a sustain pedal in this input to make changes to MIDI information, octave settings, sustain and hold modes, and much more. It can be a little tricky to understand at first, but it’s less complicate than it seems.
If you decide to get a malletKAT and do not want to spend the extra money on the internal sounds, you will need a dedicated computer to play virtual instruments from. For this to work, you will need the malletKAT, a MIDI to USB cable that connects to your computer, a Macbook Pro (or a PC, but Macs seems to be very reliable when it comes to music), and a copy of Ableton Live. Something also worth considering is an audio interface. My favorite one for live use is the MOTU 828 mk3.
The Best ATA Road Case For MalletKAT
- Important - Please Make Sure You Measure Your Unit Before Purchasing. See Product Description
- Inside Dimensions (Usable Space - Foam to Foam Dimensions) 49 x 12 3/4 x 4 High
- Laminated Plywood Thickness is Stated in the Title
- All Bindings and Channels are Machine Split Riveted
- All Quality Hardware and Interior Foam Used is Depicted Exactly as Shown in Photos
If you have already purchased a malletKAT and are in need of a great ATA case for it, consider checking out this case from Roadie Products. These cases are made EXACTLY to your specifications, so you know it will fit your malletKAT, no matter how many octaves you may have. The build quality is incredible and will last for many years to come.